Additional Learning Needs

Last modified 17/07/2012 09:51

Helping you with your Child’s Additional Learning Needs

In all schools, many children, at some time in their school careers experience difficulties which need to be addressed

These may be any one of language learning, emotional, behavioural or medical; indeed, they may be a combination of some or all of these. 

We work together with parents and carers to support pupils and we place great importance on good communication between home and school.

The Special Educational Needs Code of Practice identifies and assesses needs and gives us ideas as to how we can support pupils who are placed on the SEN (Special Educational Needs) register to achieve their best.  Specific targets for each individual are set and outlined on an IEP (Individual Educational Plan).  These are reviewed regularly and shared with pupils and parents. 

Help from outside school may be necessary particularly for pupils who have a statement of special educational needs. 

Some pupils have a TA (Teaching Assistant) to support them for part or all of their time in school.

The SENCo (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) Mr R Gough or Miss F French are available to discuss issues in detail with parents prior to Year 7 and during the child’s time in school.

Children may be placed in a form class where there is a maximum of 15 children. These pupils will have less time being taught a Modern Foreign Language or Welsh and receive extra support in place of these subjects. Pupils in these classes will have extra support for literacy, numeracy and life skills.

There are many different kinds of support which your child may be referred for during their time in school. You will be kept up to date throughout and you will be contacted for consent if school feel there is a need to involve your child.

The following agencies work in partnership with school and are there to best support your childs’ needs.

Behaviour Support Team – Pupils may need to be referred to the Behaviour Support Teacher. The Behaviour Support Teacher will withdraw your child for support with managing their behaviour. This may be 1:1 work or group work based on your childs’ needs. The teacher may work on managing anger, developing self-esteem or speaking about managing time in school to avoid confrontation or detentions.

Educational Psychologist Team – Pupils may need to be referred to the Educational Psychology Team, who are one of the Local Authority’s education support services. An Educational Psychologist may work with individual children who are experiencing difficulties. These may include a range of learning behaviour, or emotional difficulties. Educational Psychologists may also work with groups of children, or on other issues identified by the school. The Psychologist will liaise closely with parents and carers as part of the assessment and planning process. Parents and carers can help in the consultation process by

1)   Attending meetings in school

2)   Sharing views about their childs’ learning and development at home and at school

3)   Carrying out any agreed actions.

Exchange Counselling – Pupils have the opportunity for counselling in school. This is a confidential service and pupils can refer themselves if necessary. Counselling can depend on pupils needs but may help in cases of family breakdown/divorce/bereavement or any needs you may feel that need to be addressed. 

Family Group Conferencing – Pupils may need to be referred to Family Group Conferencing if they get into trouble at school, if they refuse to attend, if they are afraid of going to school or if the pupil and family are finding it difficult to cope with things in their life. Conferences will be held on an informal basis and a plan is put together to discuss problems that have been happening and discuss ways to change things for the better.

ELiS (Engaging Learners in Swansea) – Pupils in Year 10 and Year 11 may be referred to ELIS if they have poor attendance. They will work with ELIS, which is based in the Kingsway in Swansea and work towards Maths and English qualifications and PSE framework. Reviews will be held regularly to discuss progress.

Home Tuition may be applied for if your child is unable to attend school. Children and young people may be taught on a one-to-one basis in their own homes and where appropriate in alternative venues.  Children and young people who are in-patients in hospital for more than five days are supported by home tutors.

Home tuition is offered by a team of 8 full-time tutors and a pool of hourly paid tutors to pupils with medical needs and those with emotional and behavioural difficulties if they are not able to access education in a mainstream school.  Home tuition is largely carried out in the pupil’s home but can be arranged in a variety of venues. Home tutors liaise with the pupils’ mainstream school or education provider they are registered with.

Referrals to Trehafod – Some pupils may need a referral to Trehafod for their complex needs. Pupils may also need to be referred here if there are any concerns with regards to your child suffering with Aspergers/ASD or ADHD. This can be discussed with the SENCO or SENCO support Miss F French.

YIP (Youth Inclusion Project) – Pupils will be referred here if they are at risk of are potentially becoming a nuisance in the local community. The project works together with local PCSO’s and police and provide pupils with opportunities to try and reduce the chances of pupils getting into trouble. This can involve children gaining qualifications in bike maintenance, working in the youth justice centre, camping trips to Borfa House, abseiling or football activities.

Dyslexia – If you believe your child may be dyslexic, please contact Miss F French at the school. The school have a computer based programme that can now test for Dyslexia. If results show your child is dyslexic, they will be allocated a mentor that will monitor the progress your child is making. An Individual Educational Plan is set up for staff to be aware of the pupils needs and strategies will be put in place to help best support your child.

Family Learning Signature – Families have the opportunity to complete a ‘signature.’ This looks at ways at which your family learn and school can look for ways to support the learning of your family. School have an appointed Family Learning Co-ordinator who is happy to complete signatures with families at any time. Activities are run with families as a result of completing the signature such as days out in LC2 or camping activities.

If you have any other concerns about your child’s additional learning or needs, please contact Miss F French at the school for advice or an informal discussion.