Welcome to the Governors’ page of Craigcefnparc Primary School website.
This section is devoted exclusively to Governing Body matters.
We hope you will find it helpful to read about what we do, who we are and how we are organised. Governors play an important part in the life and work of the school. In order to help us undertake our responsibilities and duties effectively and efficiently, we are guided and supported by the local authority, Governors Wales and the Clerk to the Governing Body. There are a wide range of training opportunities available.
Most queries about the daily organisation and management of Craigcefnparc Primary School and the progress of any individual child should be directed in the first instance to the school itself. However, the Chairperson or other Governors will be happy to answer any more general questions, particularly in relation to the role of the Governing Body. Letters or e.mail should be sent to the school for our attention.
WHAT IS OUR ROLE?
Governors do not manage the school this is the role of the Headteacher and her Leadership team. The Governing Body has overall responsibility for the conduct of Craigcefnparc School and within that, particular responsibilities to promote high quality teaching and learning and therefore raise standards of education and the welfare of pupils. All of this is contained in a legal framework. Governors are responsible for the strategic vision and direction of the school and for supporting the Head and her staff in working towards achieving that vision.
WHAT EXACTLY DO WE DO?
- Agree the aims, objectives and values of the school
- Agree policies, targets and priorities relating to the aims, purposes and practices of the school
- Monitor and evaluate the above to see whether they are being achieved
- Influence and approve the School Development (Improvement) Plan and approve and monitor the allocation and expenditure of the school budget
- Make sure the National Curriculum is taught and there is sufficient staff to teach it
- Monitor and review the school’s progress
- Ensure individual pupils’ needs are met, including additional needs
- Recruit and select staff
- Give parents and other interested local people information about the school
- Produce action plans following school inspections
- Establish positive links with the local business and wider communities
- Support the day-to-day operational decisions taken by the Headteacher
- Promote the effectiveness of Craigcefnparc Primary School’s Governing Body by attending relevant training in order to develop knowledge and understanding of the complex nature of schools today.
HOW DO WE DO IT?
Governors meet on a regular basis in formal committees. The full Governing Body meets each term along with those committees dealing with the curriculum, personnel, finance, health and safety and buildings. Additionally, individual Governors are linked with various aspects of the work of the school. Reports are submitted regularly by staff throughout the year. Whenever possible, Governors support staff and pupils by attending the many events that take place during the course of the year.
WHO ARE WE?
The composition of the Governing Body is made up of people who bring a wide range of skills and expertise to the role, have a key interest in the school and include parents, teachers, staff, the local community and the LEA. The Headteacher is also a Governor. With the exception of the Head, Governors are volunteers with fixed, four year, terms of office after which they must be re-elected or re-appointed. There must be an election for the Chair and Vice-Chair of Governors each year. The composition of Craigcefnparc Primary School’s Governing Body is as follows:
||Term of Office
|Mrs Christine Strong (Chair)
| Mrs Rachel Hook (Vice Chair)
|Cllr Teifion Cook
|Mr Howard Evans
|Mr Paul Ellement
|Mrs Kira Jefferies
|Mrs Suzanne Davies
|Mrs Jane Morgan
|Mrs Sarah Jane Phelps
| Mrs Louisa Reynolds- Milnes
|Mrs Claire Waters
|Mrs Sarah Daniel